[OS X TeX] microtype

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 10 13:47:16 CEST 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 4:18 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I surely do. I will use it only for the final formatting.
>
> GG

Howdy,

I'm glad you've seen the beauty of using the microtype package. I find it truly amazing. I never noticed the extra time since I usually compile fairly short documents and the compile time isn't an annoyance. I'm not surprised that it takes much longer when you use font expansion since there are many more possibilities that pdftex must consider for the line breaks.

Once you do start to use it in the final formatting be very careful to look at the page breaks, etc., since those can certainly change since some paragraphs will actually get a line shorter.

PS: do you remember when it took multiple seconds to compile a page? Life was slower then. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)