Finding the Wiki (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 5 23:32:45 CEST 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:13 PM, <cfrees at imapmail.org> <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've done some editing and even contributed an article to the wiki and I certainly support what you've done. But, I'm sure at least some of what I've written is probably in good need of updating.
>
> Some of what I've written *definitely* needs updating. But it hardly
> seems pressing when I see the questions it answers asked and answered
> here again and again without anybody ever being directed to the wiki or
> seeming in the least aware of its existence. Perhaps people do use it.
> I can only assume that, if so, they are not members of this list.
>
> This isn't to say I don't mean to update it, but there are other things
> to do and so it is less of a priority. If I knew people actively used
> it, it would be a higher priority.
>
> - Clea

Howdy,

And I know the same thing about some things that I've edited and written.

However, we're into a cart before the horse sort of thing here. Could I, in good conscience, send someone to a web page if I know, or, because I haven't visited recently, no longer know, that the information there may be out of date?

I'm just not sure how to deal with that.

Another point is that unless you have a good familiarity with what and where some information is, even in a local like the wiki, it becomes difficult to tell someone where to go rather than answer the question (even though it has been answered multiple times before).

Can we give this some thought and see what we can come up with? I should spend a bit of time carefully looking at the wiki to see what is there.

Would it be possible to automatically publish some sort of outline of what can be found on the wiki on this list a few times during the year? Maybe a notification when something changes too? Just throwing things out there.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)