[OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 23:58:55 CEST 2010

On 05/08/2010, at 7:27 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Howdy,

> Here's how you use this engine. Open a latex .tex file you wish translated to html (I suggest you first COPY it and associated files into a new folder since lots of files will be generated) and, at the top of the file put the line
>
> % !TEX TS-program = htlatex
>
> replacing any line like that may already there. Then simply Typeset (Cmd-T). Since there is no pdf file created you must simply wait until processing shown in the Console window stops. Assuming you started with myfile.tex look for the myfile.html file. When you double click this file it should open in your Browser and show your document converted to html. It's usually quite ugly unless yout take pains to make it as best you can (e.g., use the mathptmx package to make math appear with the usual Times, etc.). You'll also want to play with the options listed in the engine:

> this is why such an engine is not supplied with TeXShop---too much personal taste.

Similar comments apply to using LaTeX2HTML.
To create a nice attractive website, with multiple pages each having
appropriately small amounts of content along with easy navigation
between the pages, requires a lot of extra configuration that
cannot be easily deduced from the structure of the LaTeX source.

Also, the LaTeX2HTML software needs to be told where on the web
the document will be hosted, and where to source the icon images
used for navigation buttons and other purposes.

Devising both an installer, and an extra window or palette, say,
interfacing to a configuration file for the current document,
is a significant amount of work. Furthermore, it would be best
done in a way that works on all computing platforms, not just
for MacTeX --- it is this requirement that makes it really hard.

Of course a lot of this is not necessary at all if you only want
to translate into HTML for the purposes of importing into M$Word.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hope this helps,