[OS X TeX] Re: compatibility of todo package with xelatex

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 18:31:21 CEST 2010

On Apr 17, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Rob Rye wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Ross Moore wrote:
>

>>> It seems that under XeTeX/XeLaTeX the amssymb package (or
>>> presumably any other package that requires it) needs to come
>>> before other packages that use amslatex packages.
>>
>> No. The reason is that with the Xunicode  package,
>> you *do not need* to load  amssymb.sty  at all.
>>
>> Those macros are already defined, and work with any proper
>> OpenType font being used for mathematical symbols.
>> If you were using such a font then you would not want
>> to be mixing the old AMS fonts in with your nice equations
>> made using that ome self-consistent font.
>> The result would look pretty terrible.
>>
>> Whereas Xunicode makes its definitions in a way that doesn't
>> care that the macro is already defined, this cannot also be
>> said for old packages like  amssymb.sty .
>> That is why the loading order matters.
>
> Thanks. I think I understand the process a bit better now.

A little bit along similar lines, I find it useful to have the
following in my preamble:

%begin---------------------------MARGIN NOTES (Ask Nelly Practex 2005
Vol1.)---------------
\newcommand{\query}[1]%
	{%begin definition
		\marginpar{%
			\vskip-\baselineskip %raise the marginpar a bit
			\raggedright
			\footnotesize
			\color{red}
			\itshape