[OS X TeX] compatibility of todo package with xelatex

Rob Rye rowenrye at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 23:45:49 CEST 2010

MacOSX TeX Group and Federico Garcia (developer of todo package),

I have recently started using the todo package to keep track of unfinished business in my manuscripts. I had always just used comments, but the todo package allows me to see a list of my unfinished tasks at the end of the pdf, all in one place. todo has worked flawlessly for me under LaTeX. I really like it.

I have also begun trying to make the transition to XeLaTeX, having been intimidated at the prospect of really learning how to use fonts under LaTeX. When I typeset a document using XeLaTeX and todo, I get the following error messages (which are non-fatal but annoying):

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:231: LaTeX Er
ror: Command `\Finv' already defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.231 ...ol{\Finv}           {\mathord}{AMSb}{"60}

?

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:232: LaTeX Er
ror: Command `\Game' already defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.232 ...ol{\Game}           {\mathord}{AMSb}{"61}

?

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:237: LaTeX Er
ror: Command `\beth' already defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.237 ...ol{\beth}           {\mathord}{AMSb}{"69}

?

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:238: LaTeX Er
ror: Command `\gimel' already defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.238 ...ol{\gimel}          {\mathord}{AMSb}{"6A}

?

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:239: LaTeX Er
ror: Command `\daleth' already defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.239 ...ol{\daleth}         {\mathord}{AMSb}{"6B}

Presumably these errors indicate that when running XeLaTeX and todo together I somehow end up defining several symbols found in assymb.sty a second time. Has anyone else used this combination of tools? If so, is there a workaround, other than hitting return over and over again to ignore the errors?

In case it matters, all of my TeX work is done using the TeXShop GUI (v. 2.33 as of this writing) under Snow Leopard.

Thanks,

Rob Rye
Astrobiologist-at-Large