[OS X TeX] TeXShop Error Message

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 14 14:42:56 CEST 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:04 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> On one of my Macs (an iMac running under OSX 10.5.8), on opening
> TeXShop, always the following error message pops up:
> "failed to parse ~/Library?TeXShop/Macros/Macros_??.plist file".
> There is no such file anywhere on my HD. In ~/Library/TeXShop/Macros
> there is only /Macros_Context.plist.
> Eventually the .tex file will be processed, but only after clicking
> away the stubborn error message a number of times. So it seems to be
> innocent but very annoying.
> Does anybody know what can be done about it. It happens with TeXShop
> 2.29 and 2.26. And with TeXLive 2009 as well as 2008 and 2007.
>
> Best regards,
> Robert Blackstone

Howdy,

Where do you see this error message? Is it in the Console.log or System.log? I assume so.

First try to simply move the ~/Library/TeXShop/Macros folder to the desktop and restart TeXShop. this should create a new Macros folder. If this fixes the problem you probably had a messed up macros plist file. You'll have to re-enter any additional macros you already created.

Updating to TeXShop 2.33 may be a good idea too. Follow the directions that are found in the Help->About This Release document to generate appropriate updated files.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)