[OS X TeX] Optimal Solution for an asymptotemk engine

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Apr 11 14:43:36 CEST 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 11.04.2010 um 02:48 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>> Enclosed is one some Console Log output and one of the pdftex crash logs.
>> They look a lot like mine!
>
> This happens also on MacOSX 10.5.8 with Fink's asymptote and Fink's texlive. I think this is a bug in asymptote.
>
> If you (or some script) run 'asy -f pdf', then asy invokes latex (or pdftex or some other tex engine) in \nonstopmode. Apparently the code asy uses for this chokes on the return code of latex and produces a fake crash report. Nothing actually crashes.
>
> --
> Martin

Howdy,

Since asy doesn't seem to quit and produces the figures in the end I'm glad to hear that the errors are, in fact, inconsequential.

I'd guess the pdftex runs have something to do with creating the final pdf files since it must be producing a latex file of some sort as an intermediate state given that you can tell asymptote about necessary latex commands you wish to be embedded. On the other hand... I know nothing about the internal operation of asy. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)