[OS X TeX] Optimal Solution for an asymptotemk engine

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Apr 10 17:52:46 CEST 2010

Am 10.04.2010 um 14:34 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> I haven't seen this happen.

It happens kind of unpredictably. Recently I invoked TeX Live 2009's
asy on an ASY file which was made by running pdflatex on the combined
TEX source file. During this run asy even invoked pdflatex, which I
only found because a system form appeared which informed me of the
pdflatex crash and offered the choice to send a bug report to Apple.
Similarly this happens more often with kpsewhich (kpsewhich --var-
value=SELFAUTOPARENT, kpsewhich --var-value=ASYMPTOTE_HOME) (using for
example simply dtruss produces quite a lot of output I haven't
debugged completely yet). That this happens for *me* is clear: the RC
files which set up a standard shell environment are still prepared for
a TL 2008 environment. For particular shells or processes I set its
run-time environment for TL '07 or '09, and usually the programmes I
work with inherit this environment for shells they spawn in which they
let run some other sub-process. Asy seems to be an exception in that
it does not inherit the proper but the default login environment.

Similarly Jean-Claude has also something scrambled. Maybe in his
~/.asy directory?

BTW, 'asy -v' would show some output from processing the ASY file. If
that's not enough, try with -vv. The -vvv level should really be
enough for use with LaTeX. (Very curious users could try -vvvv or -
vvvvv.)

I should talk to the asy authors later, I think...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue