[OS X TeX] MLA-style Template

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1270654405.7cb52c at shiftingbalance.org
Fri Apr 2 17:33:21 CEST 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 6:25 AM, Paulo Ferreira wrote:

> On 2010/04/02, at 05:22, David Messerschmitt wrote:
>

>>> While we are on this topic...has anyone had any luck with JabRef? So far as I can tell, it will *delete* all nonstandard BibTeX fields, which is crazy. I've been looking for something that Windows collaborators can use (we don't have RefWorks or the like) to edit a BibTeX database, but I haven't found anything. What do windows people do?
>>>

>> RefWorks is perfect for collaboration, across institutions, platforms, etc. Everybody can have RefWorks if each person is willing to shell out 100 USD for an individual subscription. Using a text editor to search through 1000's of entries sounds awful.
>>
>> -dgm
>

> What about Zotero?       ( at www.zotero.org )?
>
> I can import and export Bibtex files, and can be used online in the new version...
>
> And as a Firefox plugin, can be used in Windows, OSX and others.

These are all great ideas!

As it is now, we have our big reference list in an svn repository, and various people work on it from various locations.

As it turns out, hunting through the database with the search tool of a good text editor is a good way to find the references, one at a time; but with BibDesk, at least, it's possible to make a change to many at once, export, etc. The main job we have right now is quality control---checking each reference for mistakes. Painstaking, yes, but often ignored. It's perfect for an undergraduate intern. :)

The main issue we have a problem with is that when people edit the file directly they leave of a "}" or something here and there, and over time they accumulate.

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org
http://www.shiftingbalance.org
http://www.twitter.com/shiftingbalance