[OS X TeX] Equations in books

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 17:43:22 CEST 2009

On 28 Sep 2009, at 4:30:53PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> The equations in my book are numbered as (IV.3), where IV is the
> chapter number and 3 means third equation. I would like to drop IV.
> How do I do it.

I'd strongly suggest you do not. There is a high possibility, that
way, of readers looking back (or forward) too far, and getting the
wrong Eqn. (3) from an earlier chapter. I'd suggest if you dont like
chapter by chapter numbering to use straight-through numbering of all
equations in the whole book.

Sorry this does not answer your question, but I hope this suggestion
is helpful.

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof Ralph Martin           Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
School of Computer Science  Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University          Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath         WWW:   http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK       VOIP:  sip:17476235487 at proxy01.sipphone.com