[OS X TeX] pdftk without Rosetta

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 13 04:19:51 CEST 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Does somebody here know whether the PDF toolkit pdftk will enhance
> to run without Rosetta on Intel Macs?
>
> I'ld like to abandon all PowerPC ballast on my brandnew Snow
> Leopard. But without pdftk I can not work. I need it in a bunch of
> engines to print watermarks like SPECIMEN, DRAFT, COPY into some
> printouts.
>
> Or do you know a way to do that without pdftk but unchanging the
> original PDF files?
>
> TIA and kind regards, Friedrich

If you have to work on pdf files rather than the original TeX files,
Snow Leopard's 'Watermark PDF Documents' does seem to work correctly.
Start Automator, select the Application template, and move the
following 3 items into the Automator workspace.
1. Watermark PDF Document. You'll have to select the image file and
placement parameters.
2. Move Finder Items, selecting Desktop.
3. Rename Finder Items. Answer "Don't Add", and select Name Single
Item, setting Full Name to, eg, Untitled-DRAFT.pdf.

Then save the application, say as PDF-DRAFT.app. The effect when run
will be to create a pdf file named Untitled-DRAFT.pdf on the Desktop,
with the watermark on every page. To call the application from an
Applescript, you could say something like

tell application "Finder" to open
"MacHD:Users:msharpe:Desktop:example.pdf" using
"MacHD:Applications:PDF-DRAFT.app"

Michael