[OS X TeX] Snow Leopard and locator

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Wed Sep 9 04:31:51 CEST 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I had eventually found that, in order to
> have System Files appear in the menu, I had to choose Other, then
> choose System Files, then, most importantly, select the box "In
> menu". It is still a frustration that I have to go through several
> steps to get what I want each time I search with Find---(a) select
> "System Files"; (b) Select "are included"; (c) Click "File name",
> and then what I get is not just file names. Every email message that
> contains the search text is also listed, mixed in with the file
> names. This makes me believe that the locate database approach is
> not yet dead. Of course, if there were a reasonable way to do the
> same thing that Find produces using a command line whose output
> could be filtered further, the prognosis for the locate database
> would be poor.

I just tried the search. It is annoying that all the mail messages
appear. So does every BibDesk record with the term in it. Argh. Maybe
put the files in order by kind and then skip over the mail messages?

Or: design a custom search includes system files but excludes
everything else that you can exclude, or at least, mail messages and
other distracting kinds of files.

I don't want to be the one that pronounces the locate approach dead.
If my grepping skills were better I would use locate more often.

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com