[OS X TeX] Refreshing the filname database

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 23 16:02:59 CEST 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 4:44 AM, Magnus Dahlström wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am a newcommer to using LaTeX on a Mac, I have before used a
> Windows-installation.
>
> My problem is this I have installed a new font and some new styles
> (.sty-files, that I used in the Windows-version) and put them in the
> proper
> location (ie. usr/..../texmf).
>
> All i now need to do is tp update the filename database, but I can't
> find
> the command, nor have my internet search given any result that
> works. I know
> windows spoiled me with MikTeX. Can any of you help me?
>
> I use MacTeX and TeXShop on OSX 10.5.8.
>
> Thank you
> //Magnus Dahlström
>
> Teacher of math and natural sciences
> Mediegymnasiet, Malmö Stad

Howdy,

First I'm a bit concerned about where you put all the files. They
should NOT be put in the main tree branches, e.g., /usr/local/texlive/
2008/..., since updating may overwrite them. All items that are not
part of TeX Live 2008 (I'm speculating that you've installed
MacTeX-2008) should be placed in the proper location in /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local/... where they will be safe and can even be used
as you update to newer versions of TeX Live (MacTeX) like 2009 that is
expected shortly.

After putting the file in the correct location you need to run

sudo -H mktexlsr

in Terminal.app (Apple's application that lets you get at the innards
of its UNIX underpinnings). Note texhash will also work but the newer
TeX Live name is mktexlsr since that's a bit more descriptive of what
it's doing.

If you have added fonts your have to `tell' TeX how to use them also.
For any map file that has been placed in the proper location in the
tree you will then have to run

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable MAP mapfilename.map

which add the mapfilename to the map list and generate a new map file
that is used by the TeX binaries (pdftex, dvips, ...).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)