[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Oct 23 04:24:17 CEST 2009

Hi Alain,

On 23/10/2009, at 11:53 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I am using code that I don't understand, that I have hacked
> extensively by trial and error, and that works beautifully so, I
> hasten to say, what follows is not exactly a life and death matter.
>
> When I run the code, I get a totally unwanted hanging indent as in:
>
> <Hanging.pdf>

Your label is wider than the  \labelwidth
allocated for the particular level of item nesting.

The value being used is stored as either:
   \leftmargini
   \leftmarginii
   \leftmarginiii
   \leftmarginiv
   \leftmarginv
   \leftmarginvi

in the class file (e.g., article.cls , report.cls )
or in  bk10.clo , bk11.clo or  bk12.clo
according to which your class file uses, or inherits from.

You can adjust it using \setlength  or  \addtolength
after the  \documentclass  line in your preamble.

> Here is the part of the code that I suspect controls it:
>
> \newcommand{\DoEnumerate}	%
> 	{%begin definition
> 		\begin{enumerate}[{\textbf{\textit{\QuestionHeading}}\hspace
> {-1mm}} \bfseries \jobname .1.]%
> 			\foreachproblem%
> 				{%begin for each problem
> 					\item%
> 					\label%
> 						{%
> 							prob:\thisproblemlabel%
> 						}%
> 					\thisproblem%
> 				}%end for each problem
> 		\end{enumerate}
> 	}%end definition

Nope. The label widths are not controlled from here.

> But no matter where I stick \parindent{-20mm}, it either doesn't do
> anything but indent "Discussion" or LaTeX grinds to a halt. And
> have no idea what else to try.

To find the correct parameters for yourself, you either have
to read a good LaTeX manual, or do some tracing of the macro
expansions --- not for the faint of heart.

> I realize that this is not precisely a minimal example but wouldn't
> even know where to begin to make up one. Still, I would very much
> appreciate any hint as to what else to try so as to save a tree or
> two.
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Hope this helps,