[OS X TeX] texshop and preview

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 9 17:32:49 CEST 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Doris Wagner wrote:

>> Howdy,
> also howdy,
>>
>> TeXShop doesn't use Preview to display the pdf but it's own pdf
>> display which uses the same PDFKit framework as Preview.
>
> oh! I didn't know this! what is a PDFKit framework? what exactly is
> the difference between the two Previews then? ...

Howdy,

I'm not much of a programmer but let me take a stab at this. The
PDFKit framework is a large group of underlying, relatively high level
functions (and objects) supplied by Apple that provides the ability to
display, search, etc., pdf files. It makes it relatively easy to
implement a pdf viewer within an application. E.g., Mail.app can
easily display pdf files from within the application. Preview.app is a
standalone application that uses PDFKit to display pdf files (plus
lots of other stuff). Another fairly popular stand alone viewer that
uses PDFKit is Skim.

The advantage is that when you write a new application you don't have
to re-invent the wheel every time. The disadvantage is that a bug in
PDFKit will then show up in any application that uses that framework.
There have been several bugs in PDFKit that were discovered by TeX
folk and even a bug in several TeX programs and fonts that were
exposed by PDFKit.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)