[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2009

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Oct 8 16:39:50 CEST 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Paul Fons wrote:

> Your idea showed me the reason for the problem... fink was first on the path and kpsewhich was referring to fink's copy.

I suspected something like that :).  That won't affect TeX Live Utility, even if you're crazy enough to put a path in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, but it will certainly give unexpected results in Terminal.

>  After changing the fink startup to append to the path, I then discovered that I had a kpsewhich in /usr/bin/local (I have no idea why), but something automatic almost certainly installed it.  After zapping that, the ./runme script to update tmlmgr worked and so did TeXLive Utility.

That, however, would break TeX Live Utility, since the contents of /etc/paths is always in the path before /usr/texbin (or whatever path you've specified for TLU).