[OS X TeX] Re: Spacing of first two rows in tabular environment

Lantz Susan lantzs at trine.edu
Fri Oct 2 19:30:18 CEST 2009

<< This isn't Mac specific, but it's something that's bugged me for a
LONG time, and maybe someone can help me out. I've always felt that the
second row of a table is too close to the horizontal rule (if any) that
separates it from the top row. For example, when I typeset the table
below in 11pt Lucida, the exponents touch the horizontal rule.
Is there a simple, non-kludgy fix or adjustment for this? I don't want
to increase all the linespacing, just the spacing between the first and
second row. Thanks. >>

Chris,

This bothers me, too. I get around it by inserting a 3-point space after
the \hline:

 . . . \\ \hline
\noalign{\vspace{3pt}}
Earth & $5.98\times10^{24}$ & $1.50\times10^8$ & 1.00 \\

That has solved the problem for me. I hope it  will for  you, too.

Susan

Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Wade Dept. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Trine University
Angola, IN 46703
lantzs at trine.edu