[OS X TeX] Editing with a TeXShop bug

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 1 03:39:56 CEST 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2009, at 6:50 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> On Sep 29, 2009, at 9:32 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> TeXShop has a bug;
>>>
>>> When you hit Apple B the whole source is boldfaced. Hit Apple Z and
>>> the whole source reverts to normal as it should. Now start typing.
>>> The source you are typing is boldfaced.
>>

>> ...but if you hit Apple-B a second time (instead of Apple-Z), text
>> is unboldened /and/ typing reverts to normal.
>> Of course, this will be rendered irrelevant in the next TS, given
>> Dick's response.
>
> Since I normally remain behind, I am going to have my nice editing
> feature for quite some more time so "hit Apple-B a second time" is
> good to know.
>
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Here's a possible alternative. And it will work with any application
that uses Apple's Text Framework; e.g., Mail, TeXShop. Get
KeyBindings.zip from <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2> and follow the
directions for installation (works with 10.3.9--10.6.1).

Then Ctl-X Space (Ctl-X and then, separately, the Space key) to set an
invisible Mark at the location of the cursor (you can only have one
Mark but you can reset it anywhere). Then, when you want to return to
the Mark you press Ctl-X Ctl-X (that's Ctl-X twice) and the present
location of the cursor and the Mark switch places so Ctl-X Ctl-X will
switch the two points again.

There are other features of the supplied keybindings, e.g., with the
cursor within a word Ctl-U, Shift-Ctl-U and Ctl-Opt-U will Capitalize,
UPPERCASE or lowercase the word. I use the Ctl-U a lot because I keep
forgetting to capitalize the start of sentences.

Other things too; Ctl-V and Opt-V scroll the text one window down/up
while keeping the cursor vertically centered in the window.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)