[OS X TeX] elsarticle

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at engr.psu.edu
Thu Oct 1 01:52:23 CEST 2009

This could be a bug in elsarticle.cls (in which case I apologize for
the OT nature of the question), or maybe there is a latex way around
it. The problem: I need to print an underscore inside a custom command
(\ead{}) of elsarticle.cls, the Elsevier latex package (for those
interested, \ead{} prints the author's email address and my co-
author's address has an underscore). I tried the following and they
failed:

1. \ead{ ... \url{_} ... }
2. \ead{ ... \_ ...}

#1 generated errors in compilation; #2 compiled but instead of an
underscore I got the strange sequence  "_ _11_". Are there other ways
force an underscore?

Here is a minimal example (to see the problem you need to look at the
bottom of the pdf page that is generated):

\documentclass{elsarticle}
\usepackage{url}
\begin{document}
\begin{frontmatter}