[OS X TeX] Apple PDF viewer bugs on this shading

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 30 19:55:32 CET 2009

On 01/12/2009, at 4:52 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I can confirm the problem you are seeing. Since the same pdf
>>> displays differently in PDFKit previewers (e.g., TeXShop and
>>> Preview --- incorrectly) while displaying correctly in Adobe
>>> Reader and (almost correctly --- transitions not smooth) in
>>> TeXworks I'd say it is a PDFKit problem. On the other hand, the
>>> fact that the latex->dvips->ps2pdf produced version appears
>>> correctly in all previewers leads me to a possible edge problem
>>> in tikz or pdftex. Sigh...

Can you post a screen-shot that shows the different views
that you get? (Like in my previous email.)

> And that's the reason that I wonder if it might be something in
> tikz (when it detects pdf mode it most likely generates different
> specials) or pdftex that is creating the problem.
>
> By the way, compiling with xelatex there is no color fill at all.

No. Just a bunch of warning messages:

(./hsv-shading.aux)

Package pgf Warning: Your graphic driver pgfsys-xetex.def does not
support shad
ings (functional). This warning is given only once on input line 120.

[1] (./hsv-shading.aux) )
Output written on hsv-shading.xdv (1 page, 8300 bytes).
Transcript written on hsv-shading.log.

DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2009.12.01:0550
hsv-shading.xdv -> hsv-shading.pdf
<AGL:texglyphlist.txt>[1
** WARNING ** xetex-style \special{x:textcolorpush} is not supported
by this driver;
update document or driver to use \special{color} instead.
** WARNING ** xetex-style \special{x:rulecolorpush} is not supported
by this driver;
update document or driver to use \special{color} instead.
** WARNING ** xetex-style \special{x:textcolor} is not supported by
this driver;
update document or driver to use \special{color} instead.
** WARNING ** xetex-style \special{x:rulecolor} is not supported by
this driver;
update document or driver to use \special{color} instead.

> So the answer is I don't really know where the `blame' is to be
> placed.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)