[OS X TeX] 64 Bit Binaries for TeX Live 2009

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 25 18:03:31 CET 2009

Roberto,

On Nov 24, 2009, at 11:44 PM, roberto avanzi wrote:

> Why Snow Leopard as a minimum requirement?  Leopard can run 64 bit cli-only binaries.

This was a deliberate choice. We compile both PPC and Intel binaries on Tiger, to support as many machines as possible. Since Leopard is already supported by these 32-bit binaries, and since the difference in speed between 32-bits and 64-bits is very small, we have the luxury of making the 64-bit binaries with the latest compilers and libraries. Thus the binaries are made on Snow Leopard and don't run on Leopard.

Dick Koch

PS: On the speed difference between MacTeX and BasicTeX, I have to cry "uncle." Herb and Jonathan, have explained why BasicTeX could be faster.