[OS X TeX] Spaces in the filename

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Tue Nov 24 12:57:38 CET 2009

El dia 24/11/2009, a les 03:51, Alan T Litchfield va escriure (in
another thread):

> Note that I also removed the spaces in the file name.

I know that it is not recommended to put spaces in filenames, although
TeXShop is now able to cope with them. Generally speaking. Recently I
received a file from a colleague with a space in its name, and without
noticing this I successfully typeset it... but synchronization was not
working. Intrigued with this, I finally noticed that the
created .synctex.gz file had been named "file name.synctex".gz,
including the space and the quotation marks. I then removed the space
and everything was fine.

I thought this was an interesting behaviour to share. (And,
incidentally, this is perhaps what was happening to the OP of the
thread "Need Help with Indexes"). One more reason to not include
spaces in filenames.

Best,

JMaF