[OS X TeX] LuaLaTeX and fonts search paths

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 16 18:51:14 CET 2009

Am 16.11.2009 um 18:30 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

> Now I realize that not many people will use lualatex at the moment,
> but I think it would still be sensible to think about this issue
> already. Does it really make sense to have two copies of the same
> font in two different locations?

No. Except you're masochistic and want have struggle every day.

> Or wouldn't it be much better if lualatex – like xetex – looked in
> the 'regular places' for fonts?

I am sure it does! You just need to tell it, for example in your
local extension of texmf.cnf. You already have /usr/local/texlive/
2009/texmf.cnf, because it sets TEXMFHOME on the Mac. Now add (please
not by copy&paste! check the paths first)

	OSFONTDIR = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts//;/sw/lib/X11/fonts//;/Library/
Fonts//;/System/Library/Fonts;$HOME/Library/Fonts

OSFONTDIR is presumingly meaningless per se, but it is used to set
TeX's path to the system's fonts. (Remember my grep command from
before, texdoc related?)

> And who should implement this?

You, IMO. Next year: Dick Koch – he just needs to know that this
actually works. (And I haven't tried it yet.)

> Is this something to bring before the LuaTeX people or is this done
> by the TeXLive/MacTeX team?

The latter will do it in case someone tells them the details.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

				– Oscar Wilde