[OS X TeX] problem with \caption in Mactex 2009

Raphael Attie raphael.attie at mac.com
Wed Nov 11 22:39:38 CET 2009

I've made a few test (see below). Indeed it is working for standard
document class, like book, amsbook, article, report.

I never tried it with 2007 but \caption is not compatible with the
{slide} and {letter} document class. (i guess it is not supposed to be
compatible anyway)

For in-house style files, like the Astronomy & Astrophysics journal, i
confirm that it was working fine with MacTex 2007 and is NOT working
with MacTex 2009.
I quote from http://www.aanda.org/content/view/129/173/lang,en/
(checked today, haven't changed since 2006) :
The A&A document class was derived from the LaTeX2e article.cls based
on TEX version 3.141 and LaTeX2e.

For the above tests that were not working, i had for each case a
warning from the \caption package, specifying that it was not
compatible with the documentclass used.

However, for the "in-house" specific style file "thesis" class, which
is based on the book document class, such warning was not issued, and
went straight to the typeset-crash issuing the error :

! Undefined control sequence.
\captionlabelfont at default ->\cph at font

Any idea ? thanks for your help

Tex file below :

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt] {amsbook}
%\documentclass[braunschweig]{thesis}
%\documentclass{aa}  % A&A version
%\documentclass[referee]{aa}  % referee version

\usepackage{txfonts}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{caption}

\begin{document}

blablaa

\begin{figure*}[h]
\centering
\includegraphics[trim=0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm, width=1 \textwidth]{./figures/
granulation.jpeg}
\caption{figure caption}
\end{figure*}

\end{document}