[OS X TeX] Using new fonts in TeXShop

The Trystero turnandtaxis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 02:50:38 CET 2009

> Am 04.11.2009 um 07:10 schrieb The Trystero:
>
>> > When I try this in TeXShop however, all the font selections display
>> > the same font that looks nothing like the ones in testfont.dvi --
>> > something that like a typewriter font with random spaces between
>> > the letters. What steps do I need to take to make it work in TeXShop?
>

> What output format was chosen in TeXShop? DVI again?

Under the "Typeset" menu, I chose "TeX and DVI".

> This sounds as if either the (possible) conversion from DVI to PDF
> (TeXShop can only display PDF and needs to convert DVI or PS to PDF
> first) went wrong or that the direct creation of the non-DVI output
> failed. Both can happen due to incorrect MAP files – but this is
> rather unlikely since you certainly ran 'sudo updmap-sys ...'
>
> So the fault can be that you are using an old and buggy version of
> the pdfTeX programme which interferes with the font caching mechanism
> in Mac OS X. Described here: http://www.tug.org/mactex/fix-font-cache-
> bug. You can update your TeX distribution with TLU from http://
> code.google.com/p/mactlmgr.

I updated all my packages using TLU, then applied the font fix. However,
I'm still getting the same results.

One other thing I noticed was that although TeXShop generated the PDF,
when I tried to open the DVI directly in Skim, I get an error saying
"The document Untitled.dvi could not be opened". (When I ran the test
earlier, I also opened testfont.dvi using Skim and it had no problems
displaying the document).