[OS X TeX] tlmgr generate updmap problem...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 5 22:52:40 CET 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Thierry wrote:

>> A personal version of the pdftex.map, etc., files are
>> created in ~/.texlive2009/ not in your personal tree at
>> ~/Library/texmf/. Take a look there.
>
> I have indeed the files pdftex.map (and other for dvips...) here.
> But from the documentation, I expect the command 'tlmgr generate
> updmap' to create a file 'updmap.cfg' (somewhere in '.texlive2009/
> texmf-var/web2c' maybe?). This folder only contains a file
> 'updmap.log' created when I used 'updmap' (which works perfectly).
>
> So, the problem is really with tlmgr which do nothing.

Howdy,

Without an updmap-local.cfg file (and I don't know how to put that
together) the command you are trying to use will disable any font maps
that are not supplied with TeX Live; see the tlmgr documentation. It
wants to change the base upmap.cfg file so you need to run sith sudo.
I don't think tlmgr is used to make a local configuration.

>> Also, for personal maps you need to invoke
>>
>> updmap --enable Map mymap.map
>>
>> for each of the map files you want to activate. NOTE: there
>> is no sudo used for personal map since that would create the
>> files with root as owner in your personal texlive2009 tree.
>
> In my case, without the sudo command, tlmgr gives me a 'permission
> denied' symptom (see my first message).
> How could I figure out what tlmgr tries to do and really does?

Notice I'm NOT using tlmgr.

>> I usually discourage doing things this way. I'd install the
>> fonts in the proper subdirectories of
>> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, run
>>
>> sudo mktexlsr
>>
>> and then
>>
>> sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mymap.map
>>
>> for each mymap.map file you wish to activate. If you keep
>> the fonts in your personal texmf tree (~/Library/texmf/)
>> leave out the -H option which tells sudo to use root's home
>> directory rather than your home directory. Make sure you
>> delete everything in your ~/.texlive2009/ directory since
>> that will be found first.
>>
>> If you have lots of maps to enable I'd create a script to
>> save you time.
>
> I could use this method, but I would like to understand why the
> method suggested by texlive does not work.
> In any case, I prefer to maintain a file 'updmap-local.cfg' instead
> of a script.
> I have all my fonts in my ~/Library/texmf/ folder, and they are
> correctly used when I create a updmap.cfg file by hand (in ~/Library/
> texmf/ also) and run updmap.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Thierry

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)