[OS X TeX] Wishing YouTube Instructions ...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 5 15:20:46 CET 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 2:26 PM, David Derbes wrote:

> There are three or four people (at least) who could do this
> brilliantly, but whether or not they have the time I do not know. I
> wish I were among 'em.
>
> Jonathan Kew, the maintainer of XeTeX; Luci Ellis at verbeia.com,
> and I think Herb Schultz are really good at this stuff, I think.
> With luck maybe one of them
> can steal the time from their very busy lives to do this.
>
> (Don't be mad at me if you are one of these three geniuses! It's not
> my fault you are so capable! :-) And there are of course several
> others.)
>
> David Derbes
> U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

Howdy,

At one point I tried to put together some documentation for installing
fonts but there are so many unique situations that a general document
was too much for me to handle. I also rarely do font conversions to be
able to use fonts directly in (La)TeX. Most fonts that I've added
already have all the support files available on line.

On the other hand, there are some nice choices, besides Computer
Modern, that are already part of recent MacTeX (TeX Live) distributions.

Latin Modern is a Computer Modern ```clone'' with an extended
character set. Invoke it using

\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

which works with math too.

There is the generic looking (to me) ``Times'' + ``Helvetica'' +
``Courier'' whioch I invoke with

\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=0.87]{helvet}
\usepackage[scaled=1.03]{couriers}
\normalfont
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

where the scaled courier (couriers) package is part of recent MacTeX
(TeX Live); use the courier package with no scaling if the couriers
package isn't available on your system. This also does math.

I use the mathpazo (Palatino with math) package with Berasans and
Beramono as a nice looking combination (as you'll see, I think
Berasans and Beramono have the right weight with several fonts).
Invoke it with

\usepackage{mathpazo}
\linespread{1.05}        % Palatino needs more leading
\usepackage[scaled=0.87]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.87]{beramono}
\normalfont
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

try this one, it's nice.

Another one of my favorites is the fourier package which uses
extensions of the Adobe Utopia font (part of recent MacTeX (TeX Live)
distributions) and I again use with Berasans and Beramono. Use

\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

and the fourier package invokes the T1 encoding and textcomp so there
is no need to do that again. This also is quite nice with math and
symbol support.

I haven't played much with the TeX Gyre font collection but that
supplies clones of several of the standard fonts that folks use.

Well, that should get you started without raising a finger to install
anything new.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)