[OS X TeX] How about just shortening the URL?

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 4 22:44:31 CET 2009

(sorry for the slow reply -- I was using the digest)

>> Am 03.11.2009 um 23:12 schrieb David Messerschmitt:
>>
>>> To those of you struggling with breaking of long URLs using \url
>>> {}, how about just creating a short URL using one of the free URL
>>> redirection services like:
>>
>> Doesn't it turn the URL into something vague, indeterminate,
>> anonymous?

Yes, but there are only two reasons to put a URL inline: (a) hide it
behind some descriptive text and (b) create a reference that can be
located across different media, including paper. For (a) long URL
length and formating is not an issue, and for (b) asking the reader to
type in a long URL can be seriously annoying. The URL syntax was never
optimized for human readability anyways, and the longer the URL the
less readable it is. I think for purpose (b) a short URL is compelling.

-dave

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of Californa at Berkeley
     and
Visiting Professor
Helsinki University of Technology