[OS X TeX] A \url problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 06:06:23 CET 2009

Hi Victor,

On 03/11/2009, at 8:57 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> I'm still missing something, Peter. These two code snippets
> illustrate the problem.
>
> I'd really like to indent the URL like this.\\
> \hspace*{4.0ex}

> hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello
> }
> \end{minipage}
>
> The top segment doesn't work, the bottom does. (See attached PDF.)

Both links in the PDF that you supplied work just fine for me.
There is no "inaccessible directory" as the target of either link.

> Regards,
>
> Vic

Are you sure that you tested the correct PDF?

As for getting a nice line-break in the anchor text of a URL,
try the following, based upon your example.

>>> I'd like to put the URL below this statement, but indented a bit.
>>> Unfortunately the URL splits in an ugly way, and it no longer works
>>> properly. The top goes nowhere; only the ``cvs'' part takes you
>>> where
>>> you are supposed to go.\\
>>> \hspace*{4.0ex}{\hspace*{4.0ex}\vtop{\advance\hsize by -3.6cm
>>>  \url{http://vic.norton.name/finance-math/notionportf/
>>> pricedistrib.csv}}

The point is that you are trying to do two things here:
   1.  have the URL split at a good place;
   2.  stop the URL from being formatted as part of the paragraph,
       but have its own indentation after the break.

Point 2. is achieved by putting the URL inside a \vtop  box.
But if you do this, you need to set the width of this box.
That is the purpose of the  \advance\hsize by -3.6cm .
You may have to fiddle with the amount to achieve the correct
breaking, in any given instance.

Using \href  the following should also work:

>>> Unfortunately the URL splits in an ugly way, and it no longer works
>>> properly. The top goes nowhere; only the ``cvs'' part takes you
>>> where
>>> you are supposed to go.\\
>>> \hspace*{4.0ex}\href{http://vic.norton.name/finance-math/
>>> notionportf/pricedistrib.csv}%
>>>  {\ttfamily http://vic.norton.name/finance-math/notionportf/\newline
>>>   \hspace*{4.0ex}pricedistrib.csv}

This doesn't use a \vtop  box, but then you have to explicitly
force the indent after the break.

If either of these doesn't work for you then there must be a problem
with some part of   hyperref  or  url.sty  on your TeX installation.

I've had it working with:

      url.sty    2006/04/12  ver 3.3  Verb mode for urls, etc.
hyperref.sty    2009/10/31 v6.79d Hypertext links for LaTeX

and with

      url.sty    2006/04/12  ver 3.3  Verb mode for urls, etc.
hyperref.sty    2008/09/27 v6.78k Hypertext links for LaTeX

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au