[OS X TeX] Medium long heading

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri May 29 01:04:34 CEST 2009

Hi Alain,

On 29/05/2009, at 3:14 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> While I am at it: Companion 2ed deals extensively with "very long
> headings" but not with a heading that is just a bit too long so
> that it could encroach just a little bit in the right margin. But I
> don't know how to prevent the break.
>
> Specifically,
>
> Here is what I would like:
>
> Exceptional Rational Functions:
> Degree = 0
>
> Exceptional Rational Functions:
> Degree = 1

Here are three possible approaches that you might try.

1.  Try reducing the space between words, as in:

   Exceptional\,Rational\,Functions: Degree = 1

2.  Put in an explicit kern:

   Exceptional Rational Functions:\kern-3pt Degree = 1

where you can tinker with the amount to

  a.  allow a tiny overflow into the right margin ;

  b.  but not too much to prevent the line-break being
      where you want it to be.

3.  Use a negative  \penalty  to make the breakpoint
     more attractive:

   Exceptional Rational Functions:\penalty-50 Degree = 1

The latter is probably the best, as it will encourage TeX
to squeeze up any flexibility in the interword spaces
to get the whole line to fit, if at all possible.

A possible draw-back of these approaches is that the extra
markup might make it into the .toc file and PDF bookmarks.
So some extra effort is needed to clean up these automatically
generated entries.

> Here is what I am getting:
>
> Exceptional Rational
> Functions: