[OS X TeX] Question about TL manager and package updates

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Thu May 14 04:53:36 CEST 2009

Hi all

This is only really tangentially about TL manager---more about a side-
effect of its use.

When I check for updates, often I find that the packages have changed
in size only by a few hundred kb. For instance, tonight, I found that
hyperref was listed as having changed, from 12,636kb to 12,984kb. On
the one hand, it could be that every line of code has been rewritten
and it came out to nearly the same length. Ok, that's an exaggeration,
but you get the idea. On the other hand, it might be that nothing
really important has changed, a bunch of comments were added, or its
managed to take up a small amount of space on a new sector of the disk
at CTAN and now the size is being reported as bigger.

Is my frequently checking for updates leading to downloading the same
packages again and again?

I realize that there is no single answer to this question, but maybe
there is a general rule.

Thanks all for considering my question.

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS