[OS X TeX] ligature fi not appearing

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu May 14 03:45:17 CEST 2009

On 14/05/2009, at 10:12 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 6:49 PM, David Watson wrote:
>
>> Add
>>    \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>> to your preamble, and hopefully that will clear it up.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Exactly. But why did the fi ligature enter the source at all?

Most likely explanation is that (parts of) the source were Copy/Paste'd
from a PDF file (or other electronic document format) into an editor
that could tell what these characters were meant to be.
Then the fact that they were not ASCII was never noticed.

In a few years time we will all be doing this, all the time.
Our TeX processors will default to UTF8 or UTF16 input,
so everything will just work swimmingly.

Unfortunately we are not quite there yet.

> TeX will automatically take care of the ligatures if the font has
> them.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)