[OS X TeX] Uninstall BasicTex

Curiouslearn curiouslearn at gmail.com
Fri May 8 21:46:52 CEST 2009

Herbert, thanks very much for your reply and suggestions.

Yes, you are right that I was referring to  ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/
(where ~ is your HOME directory).

The System Preferences->TeX Distribution says TexLive-2008-Basic.

A few months back I installed the Context package for Mac. I wonder whether
that changed some of my settings.

I do have space on my harddisk. If I install MacTex along with Basictex, how
do I ensure that the editor will use the new installation, or is that done
automatically? I suppose I can change the setting from System Preferences.

You pointed out that later I can just go and delete the BasicTex folder
from  /usr/local/texlive if I wish. I followed your instructions just to see
that I know where to find this folder and your instructions work very well.
However, where is this folder located. Is this usr/locals hidden. That is, I
can go there by entering the path as you have suggested. But can I click my
way to it using the Finder.

Thanks again for your help. My main question is, how can I ensure that the
default installation used is the new MacTex installation, when both MacTex
and BasicTeX are installed.

Thanks.