[OS X TeX] RE: New Editor.

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun May 3 18:19:17 CEST 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 12:05 PM, Rose Charlie wrote:

> On 2009.05.03, at 17:27:20, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I teach mathematics and the volume of my email correspondence with
>> my students is slowly increasing. A huge stumbling block of course
>> is that it is near impossible to write mathematics in an email.
>> What the students often do is to scan a handwritten paper and
>> attach it.
>>
>> It seems to me that a "featureless" LaTeX application that would
>> allow writing mathematics up to, say, calculus level out of the
>> box and nothing else, no bibliography, no table of contents, no
>> index, etc would find a "market" there. The pdf in the same window
>> as the source is what made me think of it. Particularly if using
>> something like Gerhardt's Flashmode.
>>
>> Maybe you could put out for free your initial, "featureless"
>> version to that effect and offer for sale the subsequent feature
>> loaded versions as TeXWriter Plus. Nowadays it is in fact an often-
>> used marketing approach.
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>

> There's a small, free program that might be adequate for your
> needs ... if you use a Mac. It's called LaTeXiT, and it can be
> downloaded at http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php . I
> use it regularly when corresponding with colleagues. I type only
> the code for an equation into the data-entry window (no "equation"
> or "eqnarray" environments), click the "LaTeX it!" button, and
> Bingo! There's my final equation in the results-window. Then to the
> Menu bar where I choose Edit/Copy the image as/Default format
> (TIFF), and then paste it into the body of my email. Slick and easy!

I know of course LaTeXiT but I had never thought of using it that
way!    ;-((

Slick and Easy indeed!  :-))

Now, most of my students of course are on windows. Is there something
like LaTeXiT there?

Beyond that, though, I still think there is a niche for a very, very
simple app enabling students to write out a whole solution, that is,
maybe a dozen lines to a page or two of mixed text and equations.

In any case, you have solved half of my problem!

Grateful regards
--schremmer