[OS X TeX] New Editor.

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 2 16:24:17 CEST 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 2, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> So what?  Soliciting bug reports is beneficial for users and for
>>> the developer, providing the developer acts on them.  I submit
>>> bug reports and feature requests to commercial software
>>> developers regularly, if they provide a mechanism for it and have
>>> demonstrated that it's worth my time.  Apple is seldom
>>> responsive, but visualdatatools.com, wavemetrics.com, and
>>> stone.com are great examples of well-supported commercial
>>> applications.
>>
>> I entirely agree of course. But there is a bit of a difference in
>> this case. At this point, we are invited to download the app
>> freely and this is where the ambiguity arises: when I "submit bug
>> reports and feature requests" to, say, Intaglio, I know without
>> doubt that it is a commercial application since I bought it. i
>> wonder how the people who might feel they have contributed to the
>> development will feel if there suddenly is a price tag on the app—
>> which I was not able to try since I am still on 10-4. Call me
>> naïve but it seems to me that a clear notice as to whether or not
>> TeXWriter will eventually be for sale wouldn't have hurt.
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> Then why are you making a list of feature requests for TeXShop? Why
> should anyone report a bug for any free software? While bugs have
> to be prioritized since those working on free software have other
> jobs and limited resources they do get fixed and the software
> remains free.

I did not make myself clear and/or I do not understand.

I have indeed no objection to "giving help" to the development of
either free (e.g.TeXShop) or commercial apps (e.g. Intaglio).

I do object to "soliciting help under false pretenses", namely
soliciting/accepting help for "free" software and then going
commercial once the software has matured.

The situation is perfectly clear for both TeXShop and Intaglio but a
bit ambiguous in the case of TeXWriter. As I wrote, it would be nice
if a clarifying statement were posted as to whether or not the
software will "remain free".

Regards
--schremmer