[OS X TeX] New Editor.

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat May 2 04:19:47 CEST 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On May 1, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> I've just run across a new editor that is in beta at this time that
>> may have some interesting features for some folks (e.g., a side
>> panel with a document outline). Go to <http://deliciouscode.com/>
>> for more information. Oh... it seems to need OS X 10.5.x and is
>> universal.
>
> Given that the site is a .com, I would assume that TeXWriter will
> eventually become proprietary. Given that it is soliciting bug
> reports etc, it reminds me of the GraceNote incident a few years ago.

So what?  Soliciting bug reports is beneficial for users and for the
developer, providing the developer acts on them.  I submit bug reports
and feature requests to commercial software developers regularly, if
they provide a mechanism for it and have demonstrated that it's worth
my time.  Apple is seldom responsive, but visualdatatools.com, wavemetrics.com
, and stone.com are great examples of well-supported commercial
applications.

In a quick trial this morning, TeXWriter appears to have some neat
features.  I loaded a master .tex file into it, and it appeared to
find all the included files and construct an outline view of the
document.  Errors are also displayed per-file in an outline, which I
think is a great idea.  It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

--
Adam