[OS X TeX] Error while updating

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Mar 31 03:07:36 CEST 2009

On  30 Mar, 2009, at 16:31, Akshay Gulati wrote:

> I am getting error on trying to update texlive manager, when i see
> code i cant understand the error:
>
> akshay-gulatis-macbook:TeXLive AKI$ tlmgr update

[...]

> /usr/texbin/tlmgr: open(>/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/
> texlive.tlpdb) failed: Permission denied at

Peter Dyballa has already told you that you have to use sudo here:

sudo tlmgr update --all

or you can use the wonderful TeX Live Utility, a front-end to tlmgr:

http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/

> Updates for tlmgr itself are present.
> Please update the package bin-texlive and texlive.infra first,e.g.,
> by calling
>  tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

This means you have first to update these key components of tlmgr. Use
TeX Live Utility or in your Terminal run

sudo tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

> Also another question is that, if i download some external package
> which is not included in TEX ..Where should i put it.
> Some one told me that it is not good to put it in tex-mf...

Right. You should put them in the appropriate subdirectories of

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/

that is, for example, a LaTeX .sty file should go into

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex

and you have to run `` sudo texhash '' in your Terminal after that.

Also, you can put them in in your Home Library directory, creating the
texmf directory and subdirectories if they don't exist already. Again,
for a LaTeX .sty file (~/Library means the Library folder in your Home):

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex

Best,

Axel