[OS X TeX] Collaborating on LaTeX documents

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:10:38 CET 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 05:43 , Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

>> What are y'all doing when working as a team? Are you just passing
>> the source about? Is one person operating as a manual repository?
>> Are there tools out there I'm not aware of?
>
> I used to use cvs with 4 authors, switched to svn because supposedly
> it's better. Here I'm just trusting smarter people than me. We even
> got the Word guy to use LaTeX when he saw how much better it would
> work in collaboration. You really don't need much horsepower at all
> for your server of one project. I'm using a 400 MHz G4 that was my
> desktop machine back in... I don't remember when. Pick up any old
> mac cheap on ebay and put in a large enough hard drive if it needs
> it (probably doesn't).

Just before I left the university, there was an old G4 tower that some
other faculty member left behind and I messed with a bit. But, it
needed to be reinitialized (he neglected to leave a userid/password
behind) and I never got around to it. If that box is still there, one
of my colleagues who is still at the university could scrounge it and
we could use it as a host. It might kill multiple birds with a single
stone because we maintain a web site as well.

Good idea!

-=d

David Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM
Civil Engineer/Hydrologist