[OS X TeX] tkz-tab (Was: Missing $ inserted in a "variations" environment)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 23:42:23 CET 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Le 16 mars 09 à 19:30, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>>
>> I get the error
>>
>> 	! Undefined control sequence.
>> 	l.41 \tikzset
>> 	             {node style/.style    = {inner sep   =  2pt,
>

> You need tikz 2.00 page 6 in the doc and ...
>
> LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 36, version
>               `2008/01/15' of package tikz,
>               but only version
>               `2006/10/17 v1.10 (rcs-revision 1.68)'
>               is available.
>
> with TL2008 you have pgf/tikz 2.00. It's easy to install pgf/tikz
>  manually in your texmf if you want (page 6)

I decided that this was going to be a longer than usual afternoon and
so I tried again, a bit more substantively and, eventually, it worked
after a fashion. Here are the ugly details in 6 parts

1) On what I have, namely
	The Tik Z and PGF Packages
	Manual for version 2.00
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf
	Till Tantau
  page 6 is in the middle of the table of contents.

2) I had downloaded "pgf-2.00" from Source Forge but when I installed
it as explained on page 74:

	7.3.1 Installation that Keeps Everything Together
	[…]
	If you want to keep “everything in one place,” inside the texmf tree
that you have chosen create a
	sub-sub-directory called texmf/tex/generic/pgf or texmf/tex/generic/
pgf-2.00, if you prefer.
(I used texmf/tex/latex/pgf along with all my .sty files)
	Then place all files of the pgf package in this directory.
(I placed the 6 folders, basiclayer, compatibility frontendlayer,
math, systemlayer, utilities)
	Finally, rebuild TEX’s filename database. This is done by
	running the command texhash or mktexlsr (they are the same). In
MikTEX, there is a menu option to do
	this.

things didn't work. Then, looking at the console, I noticed that I
already had pgf from TeXLive so I took out the pgf folder from the
latex folder and tried again. This is what worked. But I was running
on gwTeX.

So, this time, I used the TeX Distribution to change from gwTeX to
TeXLive-2008 which I had downloaded a while ago but which, I don't
remember why, I am not using.

3) With just:

	\usepackage{tikz}
	\usepackage{tkz-tab}
	\usepackage[upright]{fourier}
	\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
	\usepackage{amsmath,fullpage}

—The example from page 92 still works
—The Sign-diagram with the same packages gives the error

	! Package pgfkeys Error: I do not know the key '/tikz/decoration'
and I am goin
	g to ignore it. Perhaps you misspelled it.

	See the pgfkeys package documentation for explanation.
	Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

	l.56 decorate,line width=2pt,red]
                                   (N10) -- (N70) node
[above=12pt,midway]{\te...

4) With,

	\usepackage[dvipsnames]{xcolor}\usetikzlibrary
{decorations.pathreplacing}

in addition to the above packages, without the Sign-diagram, I
already get the error

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `T1' for symbol font
(Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on input
line 50.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `T1' for symbol font
(Font)              `operators' in the math version `bold' on input
line 50.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OML' has changed to `FML' for symbol font
(Font)              `letters' in the math version `normal' on input
line 86.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OML' has changed to `FML' for symbol font
(Font)              `letters' in the math version `bold' on input
line 86.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OMS' has changed to `FMS' for symbol font
(Font)              `symbols' in the math version `normal' on input
line 113.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OMS' has changed to `FMS' for symbol font
(Font)              `symbols' in the math version `bold' on input
line 113.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OMX' has changed to `FMX' for symbol font
(Font)              `largesymbols' in the math version `normal' on
input line 1
14.

LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OMX' has changed to `FMX' for symbol font
(Font)              `largesymbols' in the math version `bold' on
input line 114
.

)

! LaTeX Error: Option clash for package xcolor.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.6 ...epackage[dvipsnames]{xcolor}\usetikzlibrary

{decorations.pathreplacing}
?
Process aborted

But, Return instead of Abort compiles the example from page 92

5) With the same packages and with the Sign-diagram in addition to
the example from page 92 I get the same error and Return instead of
Abort compiles both the example from page 92 and the Sign-diagram.
So, in a manner, it works.

6) The questions that remained were
—whether it was going to work with all the other packages that I am
using in the magnum opus. It does in the same manner as above.
—why did I get from TeXLive back to gwTeX? Something must not have
been working.

So, I guess the time for Leopard and the big cleanup is coming up
real soon now.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer