packages in TeXShop (was: Re: [OS X TeX] question regarding spacing after a period)

steve kolars bkfuth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:39:03 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com> wrote:

> On  12 Mar, 2009, at 03:52, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>  Open a terminal window and type
>> locate beamer.cls
>> If the file will be found you already have beamer on your system.
>>

> That is if his locate database is up to date, which means his machine has
> to be turned on at about 3 o'clock every day. In any case, find is better,
> but, as you said, we need to know which TeX distribution he's using.
>
> Then the best would be, in Terminal,
>
> kpsewhich <class_name>.cls (for example, kpsewhich beamer.cls) and
> kpsewhich <package_name>.sty (like kpsewhich geometry.sty).
>
> Best,
>
> Axel
> On  12 Mar, 2009, at 03:52, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>  Open a terminal window and type
>> locate beamer.cls
>> If the file will be found you already have beamer on your system.
>>

> That is if his locate database is up to date, which means his machine has
> to be turned on at about 3 o'clock every day.

Instead of turning the machine on at 3:00 why not use the "locate.updatedb"
command on a Mac and BSD systems ("updatedb" on Linux).  This command causes
the database to be rebuilt.  The locate command does a simple lookup in the
database.  In any case the database only needs to be rebuilt when something
changes.

> In any case, find is better,

The find command searches the entire file system (at least from the point
you tell it to begin).

Steve