[OS X TeX] Off topic: system stablitity

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Jun 22 02:22:03 CEST 2009

Hi George,

George Gratzer wrote:

> On 21-Jun-09, at 6:46 PM, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>>
>> Any problems with memory tend to be pretty definitive on startup.
>> Normally the
>> system will fail to load and will issue three beeps before shutting
>> down or
>> exiting startup on a grey screen. But problems with hardware
>> incompatibilities
>> (if there are third party add-ons),
>
> none

OK

>> logic board problems (various depending on
>> hardware specs), bad sectors on the hard disk hard disk,
>
> scanned the disk

Logic board may still present an issue. If you Disk Utility to scan the disk
it will have picked up most common anomalies, but it does not check for every
possible error code that may be generated. Similarly, it may claim to have
repaired file structures but it may not be able to repair all bad sectors.

>> I/O problems with
>> hard disk, fluctuating power supply from source,
>
> I have UPS

OK

>> internal power supply due to
>> fail, over heating issues, running too cold, ... are all possible
>> and likely
>> scenarios given the evidence to date.
>
> So you think I should get a new computer?

haha. Well if you needed to present a case for the 'finance department'...

Still waiting to hear what the chip is, age of computer, OS version ;)

Cheers
Alan