[OS X TeX] Illustrator to printing shop via pdflatex

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 16 15:38:51 CEST 2009

Peter Dyballa schreef:

> Am 16.06.2009 um 13:15 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> - to get rid of the colour added in black strokes (in one only time) ;
>> - to save an Illustrator file in order that it is considered as a
>> grey or black only file by epstopdf (or Distiller), and by all
>> applications wihich may have to deal with the output file?
>

> Let silly Illustrator save the file with colours. Then use xv or
> Graphic Convertor or whatever to convert to levels of grey. Another
> option is to print the file (to disk) and use a built-in filter.
> You'll get a PDF (which might need some cropping since a printer
> works page-oriented).

It is illustrator, so it probably is line art. Do not touch it with
GraphicConverter or xv, which are bitmap programs.

The 'color utility' in the utilities map (within the applications map) may
be of use - at least I think that is the correct name, I'm not at my mac
right now. It will convert PDF, transform color spaces, and create pdf's
that are supposedly compliant with various printing standards. A printing
filter would work too, it is the same mechanism.

Maarten