[OS X TeX] ps2eps and bbox

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 13 03:54:51 CEST 2009

The PERL script ps2eps, which is supposed to construct a correct
bounding box for a ps file, is useful but a bit buggy, as Herb Shulz
pointed out in a commentary on one of his scripts. It depends
crucially on a C program named bbox, which seems to makes errors of up
to a couple of points in computing the bounding box. I've corrected
some of those bugs, and it seems to improve the accuracy considerably,
so that the 'tight' setting is now useful. I've emailed the author,
Roland Bless, but have not yet heard back from him. Meanwhile, if
anyone else is interested, I've detailed the corrections and posted
the new Intel binary at

http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/bboxfix.zip

As bbox was installed as part of Mactex 2008, you will have to either
replace /usr/texbin/bbox with the new version. or place the new
version in a folder searched ahead of /usr/texbin in your PATH.

Note that this is primarily of interest to those working with eps
files rather than directly with pdf graphics, but in my experience
most publishers still want eps files, and that is the only form
understood by PSTricks.

Michael