[OS X TeX] An alternative to LateXIt; croppdf

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jul 24 23:26:49 CEST 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 22:29, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

>> Attached is a script and two shell scripts. The script croppdf should
>> be saved a TeXShop macro.
>
> Thank you for coming up with a useful addition.
>
> But how might one save croppdf.scpt as a TeXShop macro?

In TS Macro Menu open the Macro Editor, click the first macro and then
"new item". The result is a blank macro, copy and paste the script
(open it in first in Script Editor via a double click) into the empty
placeholder for the macro, give the macro a title and add a key short-
cut.

>> Create a template that will show only the typed text when typeset
>> containing the command \thispagestyle{empty}.
>
> I would like to use your script but I do not understand what you
> mean by
> the above sentence.  Could you please explain?

It shouldn't contain any structural items for title, abstracts, etc,
i.e., when you type Rowland, then, after typesetting, the pdf file
only displays Rowland. The command \thispagestyle{empty} assures that
no page numbers will be typeset.

>> Type the text, formulas
>> etc, that you want and make sure that the formulas are not tagged.
>
> When you say `not tagged', what do you mean?  I've never come across
> the
> concept of a tagged formula in LaTeX.

By tagged I mean equation numbers.

I have attached a new  AppleScript and a new shell script containing /
usr/texbin as pointer to the tex distribution.

Store the shell script croppdf in ~/Library/Flashmode/bin, create
these folders if they are not already present.

Heiko Oberdieck's perl script pdfcrop is already part of TeXLive,
hence a separate inclusion is not necessary.

Claus