[OS X TeX] invisible text

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jul 20 02:29:44 CEST 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 7:10 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> There is quite a bit more to it than I thought:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
> \begin{document}
> definition, infinite, specification, definite
> \end{document}
>
> with my preamble was giving an error about titletoc being
> incompatible with minitoc (which I had forgotten to remove but
> hadn't given any trouble until now) but  without any preable as
> above now gives
>
> definition, infinite, spedification, definite.
>
> with a combination p b in place of fi, that is with a vertical line
> with an o glued to its right.
>
> Here is the console:
>

> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./minimal.tex
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
> dumylang, noh
> yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak,
> german, ng
> erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian,
> farsi, finnish,
> french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
> interlingua, ibyc
> us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk,
> polish, por
> tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian,
> serbian, swedish,
> turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
> (/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/book.cls
> Document Class: book 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/bk11.clo))
> No file minimal.aux.
> [1{/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
> (./minimal.aux) )</usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/type1/bluesky/
> cm/cmr10.p
> fb>
> Output written on minimal.pdf (1 page, 6555 bytes).
> Transcript written on minimal.log.
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I know that you're running OS X 10.4.11 which isn't as susceptible to
this but this sounds a lot like the infamous Font Cache bug. Download
FontNuke from <http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/>, delete your Font Caches
and re-boot for good luck. If that cures the problem you were hit.

What MacTeX distribution are you using? If you are using 2008 you can
download updated binaries that partially fix the problem. Partially
because there is a problem in some fonts that were repaired using
tlmgr. (TeX Live Utility will only run under OS X 10.5.x.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)