[OS X TeX] BibDesk crossref

Sat Jul 18 11:06:09 CEST 2009

Hi David,

there is a specific BibDesk mailing list you might want to check out.
Crossref is one of the things many people struggle with in the
beginning so the archives might help you here.
Anyway, the best way t deal with crossref in my opinion is to first
create the parent item (as you know, crossref is primarily for
incollection items). Then press ALT in the main window and you will
see hot the icon for "New" in the toolbar changes to "New with
Crossref". That way you don't have the crossref field in every single
item in you bibfile which makes sense since usually more items do not
need it than actually do.

You can easily add fields to an item by first opening it in and then
clicking the little plus symbol at the bottom of the editing-window.

The duplication feature you are mentioning should only be active for
the parent items (books, manuals, etc.) NOT for the child items
(incollection, inbook). What it will do is to add the field booktitle
to the bibtextypes in that list so that if you then link an
incollection to it via crossref you will find the booktitle field
automatically filled out in the child item.

Hth,

Alex