[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 15 07:34:47 CEST 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 9:33 PM, George Ghio wrote:

> On 15/07/2009, at 11:07 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:29 PM, George Ghio wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, I didn't. The installation was from Texlive08.
>>> Let's make no bones about it, I use TeX but am a fair ways from
>>> understanding it. I can find some of the files but it is hit and
>>> miss. I really just don't understand the structure.
>>>
>>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/initials.
>>>
>>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/initials.
>>>
>>> It always seems that the person who writes the documentation
>>> assumes that the reader already knows as much as the author.
>>> (Sigh) Such is life.
>>>
>>> As far as I understand it I did a full install. I suppose the
>>> first step is "Where should the files be?"
>>>
>>> Any help is gratefully accepted.
>>>
>>> George
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> 1)Installing in texmf-dist is discouraged since a re-install will
>> overwrite the changes/additions. You should put the files in texmf-
>> local (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local).
>>
>> 2)Did you run `sudo texhash' after installing the files? [This lets
>> TeX ``know'' the files exist.]
>>
>> 3)Where did you put the .map files and did you run `sudo -H updmap-
>> sys --enable Map foo.map' for each of the map files (i.e., put the
>> proper map name in for each map file in the initials fonts. [This
>> tells latex how to use the fonts.]
>>
>> 4)What about the .sty and .fd files? Where did you put those?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> 1) I used the installer. I use Tex as installed.
>
> 2) I have no idea how to do this. I wish I did, but, I don't.
>
> 3) The files were put wherever the installer put them.
>
> 4) The .sty and .fd  files are wherever the installer put them. I
> have yet to find a .sty file for the Initials package, anywhere on
> my computer or the www.
>
> Now then Herb. I appreciate that you have knowledge beyond my
> ability. I do not know how to do what you know how to do.
>
> To date I have yet to find a simple guide for the use of TeX. All
> the guides assume that one already knows what is being described.
> Still I have managed to use TeX for my writing. I like TeX and I
> like this group.
>
> Let us assume that the installer has placed all the files in correct
> places. If I put - \usepackage{initials} - in the preamble I get an
> error that says that - initials.sty - can't be found. So is the -
> \usepackage{initials} - a correct command or are  - initials -
> actually contained in a different package and the command should be
> - \usepackage{???}.
>
> Many thanks for your time spent.
>
> George
George,

Initials is not a package---there is no file initials.sty. It is only
a collection of fonts. If you have not already done so, get
initials.zip from

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/initials/

and uncompress it by double clicking on the downloaded file. This
creates a folder named Initials in your Downloads folder.

I'll  illustrate the process with one font---Acorn.

1. If it doesn't exists, create the folder

~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/initials

and copy Acorns.tfm to that folder.

Eg, in a Terminal window,

cd ~/Downloads/Initials
cp Acorn.tfm ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/Initials/

2. If it doesn't exists, create the folder

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/initials

and copy Acorns.pfb to that folder.

Eg, in a Terminal window,

cd ~/Downloads/Initials
cp Acorn.pfb ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/Initials/

3. If it doesn't exists, create the folder

~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/initials

and copy Acorns.map to that folder.

Eg, in a Terminal window,

cd ~/Downloads/Initials
cp Acorn.map ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/Initials/

4. If it doesn't exists, create the folder

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/initials

and copy Acorns.fd to that folder.

Eg, in a Terminal window,

cd ~/Downloads/Initials
cp Acorn.fd ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/Initials/

5. Inform LaTeX about the new font. In a Terminal window

updmap  --enable Map Acorn.map

6. Try to run LaTeX on the example file Acorn.tex. Note that it uses
in the preamble only the line

\input Acorn.fd

The procedure above worked for me over a MacTeX 2008 installation.

Michael