[OS X TeX] Excel tables to LaTeX - new script

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 04:21:53 CEST 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 9:07 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 15/07/2009, at 12:55 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Tables are always a pain in the neck to write in LaTeX.  I used to
>> use an Excel macro xl2latex.xls which would convert an Excel table to
>> LaTeX
>
> 	<snip>
>
> 	There is no accounting for taste, or the lack thereof.
>
> 	I have *never* found tables to be a pain in the anywhere,
> 	in LaTeX.  Page 64 of Lamport's book makes everything crystal
> 	clear.  Whereas I wouldn't touch Excel with a sterilised
> 	barge pole.  For anything.
>
> 	Fortunately freedom of choice prevails; except insofar as
> 	the MicroSoft monopoly forces the rest of us to use the MS
> 	junk ``because everybody else does''.

Occasionally, spreadsheet ARE nice for getting something and it is
when you want to show off what you ended up with that you want to
translate it into LaTeX as it's kind of wasteful to have to redo it
from scratch in LaTeX.

But tables CAN be a pain in the whatever to do in LaTeX.

As for the rest, how about TeXTable? I have it, I have used it but I
am not too much into tables so I cannot really say. Also, doesn't
Open Office translate in LaTeX too?

Regards
--schremmer