[OS X TeX] Invoking latex with tex + ghostscript option?

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Sun Jul 12 12:38:16 CEST 2009

On 8 Jul 2009, at 08:11, Robert Morelli wrote:

> I was told that I need to invoke latex with the "tex + ghostscript"
> option. How do I do that?

The simpdftex executable (available in MacTeX and TeXLive) does the
steps for you.
This is what I do in order to use simpdftex with AucTeX (add it to
your ~/.emacs file, and you'll find a new menu entry for simpdftex):

  (defvar simpdflatex-program
    "simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --distiller ps2pdf14"
    "PDFLaTeX program via dvips")

  (defun simpdflatex-command nil simpdflatex-program)

  (setq TeX-expand-list
	 (cons '("%(simpdflatex)"  (lambda nil (simpdflatex-command)))
	       TeX-expand-list))

  (setq TeX-command-list
	 (cons '("simPDFLaTeX" "%(simpdflatex) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		 (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run pLaTeX")
	       TeX-command-list))

  (setq TeX-command-output-list
	 (cons '("simpdftex" ("pdf"))
	       TeX-command-output-list))

By the way, this shows a general way to add "engines" in AucTeX.

cheers
--e.