[OS X TeX] OT: Knuth humor

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Fri Jul 10 18:36:00 CEST 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Ross Moore wrote:

> On 08/07/2009, at 9:58 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>> or the rather long-winded
>>>
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg184252.html
>>
>> Long-winded perhaps but the only thing wrong are the very few
>> telltales---"Windows 95 and NT platforms are expected in late
>> 1998". Otherwise, I would have been completely taken—and I am a
>> hard-core skeptic. "They" should take them out and recirculate.
>> Some stir that would cause!

A rewrite of this might have "Knuth, last seen in Seattle boarding a
private jet escorted by ten men in black suits and dark sunglasses,
has not been heard from since a few days before the deal for TeX was
inked. Gates suggested that with the generous sum offered to Knuth,
Knuth may have decided to `take a long, long vacation for some much
needed downtime. He accepted our loan of a Microsoft corporate jet, to
start him on his travels.' Calls to the Knuth household in Palo Alto
were not returned, and the Stanford Computer Science Department said
only, `Don has been placed on an indefinite administrative leave.' "

> Yes. But don't change the publication date of 1 April.
>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Ross

> Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au
> Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-419
> Macquarie University                             tel: +61 (0)2 9850
> 8955
> Sydney, Australia  2109                          fax: +61 (0)2 9850
> 8114

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com